How-To Celebrate Holiday Traditions: Socially Distanced
The COVID-19 pandemic has been stressful and isolating for many people. Gatherings during the upcoming holidays can be an opportunity to reconnect with family and friends. This holiday season, consider how your holiday plans can be modified to reduce the spread of COVID-19 to keep your friends, families, and communities healthy and safe. – CDC.gov
2020 has been a year of enormous challenges. As we find ourselves in the middle of the holiday season, we wanted to suggest a few ways you can celebrate the holidays while keeping you and your loved ones safe. Here are some festive and socially distanced ways you can celebrate this holiday season:
- Take a walk or a drive around your neighborhood to view holiday decorations and lights. You can use this handy 2020 Christmas Light Map if you are in the Chicagoland area!
- Host a virtual gift exchange. Have friends and family draw gift recipients and mail wrapped gifts to their homes. If they are in your pod you can draw names in person, otherwise, draw names using sites like Secret Santa Generator to pick names virtually. Then host a virtual unwrapping party to see what everyone received in real time!
- Write and mail out holiday cards. We’ll be posting more about how to do this in one of our upcoming blog posts but let’s just say this is a great way to reach out and let people know you are thinking of them.
- Host a virtual winter/holiday themed contest. See who can create the most fantastic gingerbread house and have everyone vote on their favorite or come up with categories like “most likely to crumble”. Is it snowing where you live? Grab a group of friends and head to the local park and build snowmen. See who can build the biggest and/or smallest snowman. Post photos of the snowmen on social media and have friends and family vote for their favorites.
- Coordinate a virtual party/dinner/game night. I know many of us are "zoomed out" but hear me out; participating in a virtual party, dinner, or game night is very different then attending virtual learning or manager meetings. It can be as casual or as fancy as you want. It’s a perfect way to check in on loved ones, laugh, and share some memorable moments.
We'd love to see how you're celebrating the holidays! Tag ShopColumbia on any of our social media pages and use the hashtag #HowToHoliday2020 on your posts.